Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Planning to Plan

I'm thinking about glass door fronts. I've looked and looked for textured Lexan, but couldn't find any interesting designs. Going with glass seems unsafe, but there are more pattern options. I think there are extra measures I can take to keep the glass in the doors.
I found a nice link on how to remove the center panel and install the glass.

I like the botanical pattern. It gives a calm, zen feeling. But the geometrics are appealing to me as well. Now that I see them side by side, I'm leaning in the zen direction.
Now for the top of the cabinets. All that wasted space drives me crazy since I have so little storage space. I'm thinking of building horizonal cabinets up there. Something like what they sell at Ikea. I would paint them to match the rest of the cabinets, and no glass. A simple, elongated handle to emphasize the horizontal nature of the cabinet would be nice.





This will be a challenge. Although I've gained some skill with a router, I've never built a cabinet.
But really? How hard can it be?

1 comment:

  1. I like the geometrics, or you could also just buy plain glass and frost it to keep costs down. Also, have you thought about just using some ikea fronts that have glass and a metal edge to the door? This may be a way to cut down on the labor, and if you are going to paint the cabinets anyways it could look fine.

    ReplyDelete