Sunday, February 1, 2009

Kitchen Remodeling

Well, here's my next project. The kitchen. This is the "BEFORE" picture, and I'll post pictures as it progresses. My plans are to replace the floor with a ceramic tile that has a simulated inlaid wood finish, and replace the countertop with granite. What about the cabinets??? I can't afford to replace them right now, so I plan to paint them.



The paint on the walls is Ralph Lauren Suede. My son replaced an obnoxious florescent light with the recessed lighting. The floors are vinyl tile that was new when I bought the home. I replaced the appliances with stainless steel.

















The counter cabinets are double sided with doors. Convenient when you are looking for something. Inconvenient when things fall out the other side from packing it in.






Just another view to the right. I didn't buy a SS dishwasher because this one was brand new. Maybe later.


















A view from the kitchen to the eating area. The kitchen table will be replaced with a pub table. I looked for a pub table this weekend and found nothing that I like or will fit in the area. Need to keep looking.

Many people have different ideas on how to paint the cabinets. I searched the internet, and it said to clean the cabinets with TSP, sand them, use a high build sandable primer, sand them again, then add the top coat.


I talked with the Home Depot guy and he said that was way too much work. He suggested that I use Klean-Strip Liquid Sander Deglosser to remove the finish instead of sanding. Then use Glidden Gripper primer/sealer which will bond to the cabinet surface. Then add the top coat of paint.


Since the prior residents were restaurant oweners, ALOT of restaurant cooking was done in this kitchen, leaving a thick layer of grease on the cabinets. So, I decided to use the TSP first, Klean-Strip 2nd, the Gripper 3rd, then top coat.


If anyone has suggestions for improvement on this approach, I'm all eyes. ;-)


Thanks-

Ann

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had suggestions of how to strip and paint them, but I was lazy and just got new cabinets. Have you started this job yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also some good places to shop for pub tables are overstock.com, smartbargains.com or target.com. If you haven't checked them out they may be at least good for ideas.

    ReplyDelete